

Service Group Meeting of Secular Meetings of Narcotics Anonymous

Minutes from 07/19/26

Introductions.

Podcast report - Mike E.

the podcast is going very well. We have 11 episodes up so far. I have been a bit slow of late getting new podcasts done as well as posting the recordings on the website. I have had some personal issues but I'm back and have posted a new speaker today and will get to some of the others in time. Mike then displayed some stats on the downloads. Feedback has been great. All of the episodes have had over 100 downloads. It is great to see substantial downloads in Asia and Africa for example. One of the aims of the podcast is to reach new audiences that we don't reach with our website. Apple is our most popular app, also Web Browser, Spotify. We have a new process whereby any new podcast is sent to the speaker before it is made public for feedback and if needed edits. So far no one has asked for any changed.

Dave: A couple of questions Who is we? Who is doing this work.

Mike: Sorry that is me.

Dave: Who makes the decision on which speakers are used for the podcast?

Mike: That is me, I take them from the list. I sort of do it randomly. If any one has any requests for any of the speakers let me know. I have to reach out with a permission document. I did have one person who didn't want her share to be included as a podcast for personal reasons. I do all the work on the podcast, it was my idea and by the way it costs me about \$20 per month for the software. Anything else?

Dave: Not right now.

Amy: Thanks Mike for that, really impressive work. We are really grateful to you for everything you have done and put into this it is very impressive.

Ken: I just wanted to say that its pretty remarkable to see the download stats from new countries. I really wanted to state that this is really not a project that can be done by a committee and Mike has always been very open to feedback for example when some people raised concerns around the introduction written for each podcast summarizing the share we worked together and found a solution. People who have been recorded have

control and consent to the podcast being done and can withdraw consent if they change their mind. I think its great work.

Amy: I concur thanks Mike. I wouldn't be at all surprised if these podcasts aren't one reason we are gaining some attendance.

Mike: There are a few services out there that track services and we, on Apple get the most hits for a recovery podcast which is kind of neat.

Amy: I know our meeting (Sunday night) is doing really well with 20 - 30 people which is really great. Thanks Mike for showing up and for all of the hard work you have put into this project. You are loved and appreciated.

Literature Writing Committee.

Kris: I am really proud to be part of this project. We have written up a number of prompts to ask people how they work the steps from a secular perspective. We have our step 1 questions done and are working on step 2. We want to have step 3 prepared before we start asking people to respond to the prompts. Each step has about 10 questions. The next step is to make a flyer (with Mike). Then ask people to start submitting their responses to the prompts. We are talking about how to introduce this on the website, we have a few ideas that are sounding pretty good. The committee is really just me, Rushil, Trey and Brad from Ohio.

Rushil: Its going really well and we have come up with some really good questions and if people respond then that will really help people in the future.

Amy: Thanks that sounds fascinating and I would really like to have a look at those questions sometime. Lets move on.

Instagram: Kris: I have started posting again on the Insta page and have gained a few new followers. I want to start posting links to the podcast as well. It is a simple thing to do to just post a flyer for the meeting of the day.

Special Event Meeting:

Ken: Kris and a bunch of us who are part of the organizing committee (7 people) put together the Solstice Day Meeting. It was a nice event. Solstice day is either the shortest day or the longest depending where you live. Between 20 and 30 people attended. Its a bit

disappointing that these events aren't attended by more people. We all have our favorite meetings I guess but I would like to encourage people to consider supporting our special meetings which aim to bring people together on days where there can be pressure felt especially by folk in early recovery. We are looking for suggestions for new events between now and the end of the year.

Kris: We are planning the Unity Day event in early October. Please join the planning committee. We also welcome new ideas.

Tips and Tricks document (regarding security at Zoom meetings).

Kris: This is a work in progress.

Ken: I will help

Kris: Rushil and I have been running training for host and cohost. This cheat sheet would be very handy.

Krista: I have been trained. At the recent Women's meeting we had 2 bombers who had mens names. They were gone in 30 seconds.

Rushil: I would also like to volunteer to help with this project.

Methods of donating and the 7th Tradition:

Mike : sorry I forgot about this.

Kris: We were talking at the last meeting about considering creating a donate (7th Tradition) function on the website.

Amy; Ringing any bells Mike?

Mike: Blanking out here.

Ken: You have to read the minutes. It takes me quite a lot of time to write the minutes.
PLEASE READ THEM!!!!

Mike will look into this.

Amy: write it down.

Krista: We (at the Women's Meeting) direct people to the website to donate.

Paulette: We have a blurb in our meeting script which says use the website but I will take that out.

Kris: You need to use the Seattle account via PayPal. Currently the website has not got this function. This covers the Zoom account and some to the website.

Ken: The three Australian meetings all use the one account and we just sent \$150 to the Victorian NA Area.

Mike: is Beyond Belief Seattle part of an area?

Maggie: No I have tried repeatedly to contact them but get no where.

Kris: When they have excess funds in the account Bob O sends the money to NAWS (World Services) through the Seattle business meeting.

Amy: I think a link on the website would make it a lot easier to donate.

Krista: Paulette can you put this in the script?

Paulette : already on it.

Kris: This issue needs to be discussed by the website committee.

Amy: New Business?

Kris: Mel has put a flyer together for service positions within the secular meeting community. It has a QR code (link) to a page where these positions are advertised.

Kris: Is Mike still pursuing the newsletter idea?

Mike: mmmmmmmm

Kris: Perhaps a planning committee needs to be formed for this idea.

Maggie: What is the main focus of this idea of a newsletter Mike?

Dave: I am interested in helping out with a newsletter. We could have a question of the month for example. How do you work the third step without God for example.

Amy: Great Dave. I like the idea of a step question.

Dave: and the Traditions. Lets not forget the Traditions, we do often here.

Amy: Who is this newsletter for, how do people get it?

Mike: People subscribe I think.

Ken: Can we put this on the agenda for next month and people can do their homework before the next service meeting (including READING THE MINUTES!).

Amy: Can anyone chair the service meeting for the August meeting.

Ken: I can do it.

Amy: the second Sunday in August. I meant to say September and October.

thanks everyone.